New Mexico has legalized cannabis for both medical and adult use. The Cannabis Control Division is responsible for overseeing both programs as of June 2021. Applications for the following license types are currently available:
- Cannabis producer license
- Cannabis manufacturer license
- Cannabis retailer license
- Vertically integrated establishment license
- Cannabis testing laboratory license
- Cannabis research laboratory license
- Cannabis courier license
- Cannabis consumption area
Applicants can also apply for microbusiness licenses of certain types based on the above list.
In order to apply for a license in New Mexico, here are the top items you want to complete to be successful starting your journey into the cannabis space:
- Decide what type of business (or businesses) you want to pursue cannabis business licenses for.
Review the list of license types available for application to determine what might be the best fit for you and your business aspirations.
- Assemble Your Team
The next step is to gather your team of experts. Having financial backing in the form of investors is crucial so that you are able to procure consultation services, a location, and other resources along the way. Don’t make the mistake of getting knee-deep in your plan and then running out of money to see it through. After you’ve made sure your funding is set, assemble your team of people you can trust. Specifically, you want people who have experience in the industry and who are well-informed so that you can highlight your team’s expertise in your application.
- Secure a Property
Prior to obtaining a license you will need to secure property that is zoned correctly and able to support the needs of a cannabis business. This can, at times, be the most challenging part of the process. Our team has worked with countless municipalities to assist our clients in obtaining compliant properties in correctly zoned areas.
- Draft Your Application
Application requirements vary between Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and narrative forms surrounding the expectations you have for your business. Either way, these need to be compliant with all state, local, and federal regulations. Ensuring that you are compliant is one of the most important steps in the application process. Canna Business Services has years of experience drafting award-winning applications for our clients in competitive states. Set up a meeting with us today to discuss how we can help you with your business.
Read more on our blog about how to take the first steps towards licensure.
Uniquely, New Mexico had the first medical cannabis law ever enacted in the United States beginning in 1978. However, this was only permitted through a federally-approved research program. In 2007, Governor Richardson approved a bill for expanded medical use. The Cannabis Regulation Act, or House Bill 2, was signed into law by Governor Grisham in April 2021. House Bill 2 permits cannabis possession, home cultivation, retail sales of cannabis to begin in April 2022, and unlimited dispensary licenses.
Read more about New Mexico’s cannabis market on our blog.
New Mexico State Cannabis Updates:
The Cannabis Regulation Act (CRA) legalized adult-use cannabis in New Mexico for adults ages 21 and older on June 29, 2021. In New Mexico, the Cannabis Control Division (CCD) regulates all cannabis licenses. Its role is to enact and enforce the licensing regulations and taxes in the CRA. The CCD will also oversee the licensing and regulations for the Medical Cannabis Program. However, the patient registry will still be managed by the Department of Health.
learn what makes new mexico a market with such high demand
The following is a list of types of licenses available to apply for in New Mexico:
- Cannabis Producer License
- Cannabis Producer Microbusiness License
- Cannabis Manufacturer License
- Cannabis Retailer License
- Vertically Integrated Cannabis Establishment License
- Integrated Cannabis Microbusiness License (can participate in up to 5 cannabis activities at one facility)
- Cannabis Testing Laboratory License
- Cannabis Research Laboratory License
- Cannabis Courier License
- Cannabis Consumption Area
View the fee schedule for each type of license.
Full licensing requirements are linked here for cannabis producers.
Full list of laws and regulations for producers and manufacturers are linked here.
Progress made by 9/1/21 —
- Create the Cannabis Regulatory Advisory Committee
- Cannabis producer license window opens. CCD accepts and begins processing license applications for cannabis producers, cannabis producer microbusinesses, and properly licensed medical cannabis producers.
Progress to be made by 1/1/22 —
- CCD begins licensing cannabis training and education programs
- CCD issues cannabis server permits
- CCD accepts and begins processing license applications for all license types
Progress to be made by 4/1/22 —
- Retail sale of commercial cannabis begin